Thursday, May 25, 2006

 

Slacker mom

Ever wish you hadn't said something the moment it pops out of your mouth? Yep, sure. My husband casually mentioned how another mom I know is being honored in town for her volunteer fund-raising efforts (which are truly admirable). Instead of saying, "Oh, that's great!" I responded with, "Well hon, too bad you married a slacker." Why did I say that? I'm not a slacker. I run my harried self back and forth from school, volunteering way too much--at the school more than home some days. I run so much, my house is a mess and I haven't bought myself new bras in ages (one of those items on the to-do list that never gets done). Still, with the slacker statement, I not only put myself down, but feel I disrespected the accomplishments of this volunteer non-slacker mom. What's going on inside? Jealous? Perhaps, but not of all the work. Maybe because harried moms throughout the world doing regular mom stuff are just that. Regular. I'm not super-mom. Never will be. Not super at anything but loving these kids. The honor of that is all mine.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?